Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Folder card


Ever since the envelope punch board came out (my latest favorite tool!), I have seen so many cute "folder" cards and had to give it a whirl myself.

I took the opportunity as it came when I was asked to create a "welcome back" card for a co-worker.

As I usually do, envisioned the design on my paper before I got started. Here are some tips for you on how I started:
  1. Create a sketch by drawing how you want your card to fold/open.
  2. choose your card front layout: there are a gazillion card sketches to choose from (i.e. pinterest)
  3. Choose your colors. I usually choose 3-4 colors.
  4. for each layer of your design, describe what you want to do with it (i.e. color spritz the doilie) 


Notice how this is just a ROUGH sketch because once you get started on your actual final product, things change. So, be flexible when you create!

I created this card with the retired ribbon slide (2012 Holiday catalog) and I just wasn't sure on this being the final creation.



I fiddled with different ribbons and papers on the ribbon slide for a while then finally decided that the ribbon slide wasn't going to work. So, I chose a vintage faceted button.
Ahhh, much better, no?!

card size is 5.5" x 4.25"

It made sense that the ribbon slide was too modern for the Doillie I have in the background.

The tabbed insert makes the card look like a real folder.

 
I made sure to give my co-workers signing the card enough space to write their message.

Supplies used:
  • cardstock: crumb cake, calypso coral, very vanilla
  • DSP (designer series paper): epic day this and that  
  • inks: soft suede, black
  • stamps: occasions alphabet
  • punches: word window, dotted scallop ribbon border (cut strip in 1/2)
  • pretty print embossing folder
  • paper doillie
  • vintage faceted button
  • white twine
  • pool party ruffled ribbon (retired)
  • envelope punch board

I would love to hear what you think about my latest creation by leaving me a comment below! 
Until next time....

2 comments:

  1. Aww that's so cute! I haven't seen the folder cards yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ma'am! Super duper fun to make and easy too!

      Delete